Sunday, February 12, 2012

We Made It! (12.3.11)

I do realize this is WAY overdue, but I started writing it and then ran out of time/forgot about it, but I wanted to finish because, let's get real, this is the only way I'm going to remember anything years down the road! 
 
 12.3.11 - Happy 1st Birthday, Sweet Girl!

Dear Abigail,

I absolutely cannot believe you are a year old!  How in the world did this past year go by so fast?  In some ways it feels as if we just brought you home from the hospital last week, but in other ways I feel like you've been with us forever.  I truly can't imagine life without you anymore.  You are the light of our lives and we feel so blessed that we have you.  This year has been the hardest and most rewarding of our lives and we can't wait to see what next year brings (hopefully, sleep...I'm kidding...a little).

You weigh 16 lbs, 9 oz  (<5%) and are 28 inches tall (50%) with a head circumference of 17 inches (5%) - our petite little bit.  You seem to be healthy, but the doctor is a little concerned with your weight so we've been instructed to "give you anything you want" and "add a little butter" when it comes to food and we have to go back for a weight check in 6 weeks (on January 19th).  This is proving to be a little more difficult than anticipated because you've definitely decided that you're a bit of a picky eater.  You've also decided that you want to do it yourself (meaning feed yourself) which is great except for the fact that it can literally take you 2 hours to eat dinner at times. Eye yi yi!  I guess we'll just keep working on it.  Edited to add: 6 weeks later we went back to the doctor and you were up to 18lbs and back on the growth chart. 

This month we celebrated your last first holiday {tear}, Thanksgiving, by going to Memamma & Granddaddy's house for dinner.  Memamma makes the best food ever and I was so excited for you to try new things, but you really weren't interested in any of them much to my dismay.  Oh, well!  One day you're going to realize just what you're missing when it comes to table food! :)

In other food-related news, we made the transition to whole milk this month and also closed the book on our breastfeeding journey (which I plan to write an entire post on at some point. I promise - I've already started it - so please hold me to it) on the night of your first birthday.  You transitioned to whole milk beautifully and while initially the weaning process didn't go as smoothly as I'd hoped it really didn't end up being nearly as painful/traumatic as I'd anticipated.  I'm so so so thankful (and proud) that we were able to make it to a year.

Sleep isn't really any better or any worse - you still have nights where you'll sleep all night without a peep, others where you wake up once or twice and then go back to sleep on your own, and still others where you wake up hysterical and finish the night on the couch with either mommy or daddy.  Naps are also about the same - you do great at Mimi & Pappy's house by taking 2 good naps in the pack 'n play, but at home you want to have no part in napping anywhere other than your carseat or on the couch with mommy or daddy.  I just don't think you're ever going to be a "good" sleeper (at least when you're at home) and I'm starting to come to terms with it; although, honestly I'd be greatly appreciative if you decide to change your mind! ;)

You have 3 teeth now (2 bottom front and top front left) and have been working on that top front right one for what seems like forever.  You still scoot all over the place and you can absolutely fly if you're on the hardwoods or tile!  You're pulling up on furniture and cruising like a pro now as well.  I don't think it'll be long before you get brave and let go either.  You've learned to imitate Neyland (our cat) and have the most realistic meow ever.  If we ask you what the Neyland says, you meow at us.  You also know that Lexi (our dog) barks, and you can say mama, daddy, and duckie (you ADORE this thing).  You point to your ears and nose when asked and you wiggle your tongue when we ask where your tongue is.  Favorite toys include mommy and daddy, the cats, Lexi's bone, and anything you're not supposed to play with (seriously).

We also celebrated your first birthday this month with a big party on your actual birthday with our closest friends and family.  I hope to do an entire post on this as well with TONS of pictures, but it's safe to say that you had a fabulous time and cake is now your most favorite thing in the world.  Seriously!  You cried when we took it away! :)  We love you so much, Abby-girl, and are so thankful to have you in our lives and for how wonderful you've made this past year.  We can't wait to experience the pure joy you will bring to us over the next year.  We love you more than you'll ever know!

Forever,

Mama


Amber

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, it's so hard to believe she's a year already! Glad you updated. And Way to go making it to a year with breastfeeding.

Natalie said...

Aww happy 1 year! I can't believe she's that old already. Where did our babies go?

lg2006 said...

I really can not believe it has been ONE YEAR! Happy Birthday sweet girl! My niece and abby are on the same growth chart it seems! She is 2 and still wearing 9 mos old clothes! Congrats on breast feeding for a year! I am so proud of you! what a great momma you are!
I have missed your blog.