Monday, February 7, 2011

Abby's 2 Months

* FYI, I'm pretty proud of myself because I did actually write this on her 2 month birthday (2.3.11), but waited to post until I transferred the pictures off of our camera.

2 months - 2.3.11


Dear Abby,

I can't believe you're 2 months old today (I think I'm probably going to start all of your monthly letters like this...hey, I never claimed to be original or creative)!  Everyday your daddy and I are absolutely amazed by how much you grow and change.  You're wearing size 1 diapers and 0-3 month clothing - you finally outgrew the last of your newborn sleepers and I'll admit that I got a little teary-eyed as I packed them away.  At your doctor's appointment this afternoon you weighed 10 lbs, 11 oz (50%) with a 14.25 inch head circumference (5%) , and were 22.75 inches long (65%).  You had to get the dreaded 2 month shots today as well and let me just tell you that you were not a fan.  Poor girl, you screamed bloody murder and turned the brightest shade of red I've ever seen.  It broke mommy and daddy's hearts.

But enough about that!  At 2 months you love to lay on your changing table and "talk" to us while you kick your little legs, swing your arms around, and smile at mommy and daddy and we love this time with you.  You also love to sit in your bouncy chair and "talk" to the animals on it.  You'll usually sit there for a good 30 minutes and entertain yourself.  Sometimes, this is the only way mommy and daddy can get anything done. :)  You still love bath time and falling asleep in your swing, but I'm not sure how much longer this will be an option as you're about to get too long for it.  You still hate tummy time, but mommy and daddy have decided we need to be more forceful with this because while you do have really good head control, you are beginning to get a flat spot on the back of your head.  Lord knows we don't want you to have to go through life with a flat head! 

This month you've really mastered social smiling and now when you're really happy about something you'll give us a great big open-mouth grin.  We pretty much think it's the cutest thing ever!  You've also started laughing over the past few weeks.  It's not really a full on belly laugh yet, but it's definitely a laugh none the less.  You really focus on big, bright objects now (the paintings and pom-poms in your room as well as the tv are some of your favorites) and you're also really starting to pay attention to voices and other sounds.  You've started to realize that you have control over your arms and legs and are really starting to notice your hands.  I don't think it will be too much longer before you're grabbing things (you actually already grab mommy's hair and pull as hard as you can any time I leave it down, but I'm not entirely sure that's intentional yet).  And in the past few days you've started "hiding" in mommy's chest.  For example, the other day you were sitting in my lap and your daddy got really close and acted like he was going to get you.  You grinned really big at him and then turned your head and buried it in my chest.  It was adorable and of course it made me really happy.  While you love your daddy, you are definitely a mommy's girl!  Although, I suspect that when I go back to work this month and you get to spend the majority of your time during the week with your daddy that this will change and you will become more of a daddy's girl. 

Your eating and sleeping patterns haven't really changed much from last month.  You're still eating about every 2.5 hours during the day.  At night we try to put you to bed around 8:30 or 9 and you'll wake up to eat around 10, 2 and 4:30.  We start you out in your crib, and then move you to the Pack n Play in our bedroom after your 10pm feeding (tonight we're actually going to try to leave you in your crib all night - we'll see how strong mommy is).  Then you're usually up for the day around 7:15.  Bedtime is still a battle unless you are absolutely exhausted.  If not, you will fight going to bed with every ounce of your being and you will cry on and off for hours at a time some nights.  You take pretty good naps during the day, but they're still pretty inconsistent as far as times go.

Your colic is also starting to get loads better (thank goodness - for a while there your daddy and I weren't sure if we were going to make it); however, you have had a few relapses.  Usually your fussiest time of the day begins at 5pm and lasts for a couple of hours until around 7 or 7:30.  This is so much of an improvement from your 10pm - 3am shifts and mommy and daddy are very happy with and oh so thankful for this change! 

Daddy and I love you more and more every day, pretty girl, and we can't wait to see what month 3 holds for you!

Love,

Mommy

Amber

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So sweet & she's absolutely beautiful!

Brittany said...

I cannot believe she's 2 months already!

lg2006 said...

She is looking more like you in that picture!! PB totally had a flat spot on his head from being in the swing all the time! Our pedi threatened us with a helmet ( that cost like 2K) and so we started making him do other things ! ha